This Italian sausage soup has quickly become one our household's favorite for the fall and winter. It's full of flavor, incredibly filling and is so easy to make! We love serving alongside a fresh loaf of crusty sourdough bread & plenty of butter.
Adapted by Dishin' Up The Dirt
Servings: 6-8 Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 lb. Driftless Provisions Italian sausage (remove casings if preferred)
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1-2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped kale (or preferred hearty green)
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups broth (or 8 cups of water)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot add sausage to brown, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat a bit if you have chosen to remove the casing. Once cooked through, remove and set aside.
- Reserve any fat in the pan and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, dried thyme & a few pinches of salt. Next, stir in the beans, water, broth and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Return the sausage back to the pot along with kale. Cook until the greens are wilted. Season everything with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some crusty bread + butter. For an extra touch, shave fresh Parmesan or Hidden Springs Creamery Wischego over your soup.